SIPI Institutional Review Board
The purpose of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) is to protect the welfare of human subjects used in research. The IRB has established a process and schedule for reviewing research proposals, and provides full reviews, expedited reviews and exemptions. The determination of “exempt” status is the decision of the IRB. Researchers who are unsure about whether or not their proposals require IRB review are encouraged to contact the Chair of the IRB.
· Researchers are encouraged to review our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page and the “To IRB Or Not to IRB” presentation as a starting point.
· Only the principal researcher is required to complete the IRB application; however, all participating researchers must complete the National Institute of Health Office of Extramural Research’s “Protecting Human Subject Research.” Copies of certification for all researchers must accompany the IRB application.
· Principal researchers must submit (electronically or by mail) a completed IRB application with supporting documentation to the Chair of the IRB.
· The SIPI IRB will review proposals and documents on a monthly basis, as needed (more frequently for expedited reviews), and provide a decision and justification.
Forms and Links
· SIPI IRB application – coming soon!
· SIPI Informed consent form sample – coming soon!
· SIPI IRB policy – coming soon!
· The NIH Office of Extramural Research's “Protecting Human Subject Research Participants” – link is provided here: http://phrp.nihtraining.com/users/login.php
· Frequently Asked Questions – coming soon!
IRB, or Not to IRB” – link is provided below:
· Edward Hummingbird, Director of Institutional Research, SIPI (Chair)
· Valerie Montoya, Vice President of Academic Programs, SIPI (Member)
· Chris Harrington, Department Chair, Liberal Arts and Business, SIPI (Member)
· Dr. Nader Vadiee, Instructor of Engineering, SIPI (Member)
· Angeline Sells, Instructor of Natural Resources, SIPI (Member)
· Cecilia Cometsevah, Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist, SIPI (Member)
· Jolene Manus, Librarian, SIPI (Member)
· Norman Ration, Executive Director, National Indian Youth Council (Community Member)