SIPI Institutional Review Board
The purpose of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) is to protect the welfare of human subjects used in research. The IRB has established a process and schedule for reviewing research proposals, and provides full reviews, expedited reviews and exemptions. The determination of exempt status is the decision of the IRB. Researchers who are unsure about whether or not their proposals require IRB review are encouraged to contact the Chair of the IRB.
- Researchers are encouraged to review our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page as a starting point.
- Only the principal researcher is required to complete the IRB application; however, all participating researchers must complete the National Institute of Health Office of Extramural Research’s “Protecting Human Subject Research.” Copies of certification for all researchers must accompany the IRB application.
- Principal researchers must submit (electronically or by mail) a completed IRB application with supporting documentation to the Chairperson of the IRB.
- The SIPI IRB will review proposals and documents on a monthly basis, or as needed (more frequently for expedited reviews), and provide a decision and justification.
IRB Board Membership
- Dr. Cecelia Cometsevah, Director of Student Affairs, SIPI (Chair)
- Edward Hummingbird, Director of Analytics and Outcomes, SIPI (Member)
- Alexander “Sandy” McMahon, Economics Instructor, SIPI, (Member)
- Dr. Eva Rivera-LeBron, Math Instructor, SIPI (Member)
- External Committee Member – Currently Vacant