SIPI Institutional Review Board
Federal-wide Assurance Number: IRB000083076
Expires: 01/31/2020 3:49:53PM
The purpose of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) is to protect the welfare of human subjects used in research. The IRB has established a process and schedule for reviewing research proposals, and provides full reviews, expedited reviews and exemptions. The determination of exempt status is the decision of the IRB. Researchers who are unsure about whether or not their proposals require IRB review are encouraged to contact the Chair of the IRB.
- Researchers are encouraged to review our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page as a starting point.
- Only the principal researcher is required to complete the IRB application; however, all participating researchers must complete the National Institute of Health Office of Extramural Research’s “Protecting Human Subject Research.” Copies of certification for all researchers must accompany the IRB application.
- Principal researchers must submit (electronically or by mail) a completed IRB application with supporting documentation to the Chairperson of the IRB.
- The SIPI IRB will review proposals and documents on a monthly basis, or as needed (more frequently for expedited reviews), and provide a decision and justification.
Forms and Links
- SIPI IRB Application
- SIPI Informed Consent Form Sample
- SIPI IRB Membership Policy
- SIPI IRB Modification Form
- SIPI Extension Form
- The NIH Office of Extramural Research's “Protecting Human Subject Research Participants”
- SIPI Charter and Standard Operating Procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions - coming soon!
IRB Board Membership
- Dr. Cecelia Cometsevah, Director of Student Services, SIPI (Chair)
- Edward Hummingbird, Director of Institutional Research, SIPI (Member)
- Alexander “Sandy” McMahon, SIPI Director Board of Regents, (Member)
- Dr. Eva Rivera-LeBron, Math Instructor, SIPI (Member)
- Dr. William Schaedla, Curriculum Committee & SIPI Instructor (Member)
- External Committee Member – Currently Vacant